Friday, December 4, 2015

Social Media Break

Don't tell anyone!  I'm taking a break.  Yep, I'm taking a break away from Social Media.  I really just mean Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter.  I'm sure they don't want me to take a break and in fact it is hard to stay away.

So much of society and our friends these days, use Facebook rather than email to communicate.  So, if you don't have Facebook, you're going to lose contact with your friends.  It is that plain and simple.  If you don't believe me, try it and you'll see this quickly.

Facebook has made it very addictive and I'm sure I'm not telling them anything they don't already know.  In all reality, you're an income stream for them.  The more they get you on Facebook, the more advertising they can pass by your eyes.  The more chance they have to get you to play a game and buy something, or just spend money on their site.

Twitter is almost the same way these days.  LinkedIn is well, just LinkedIn that no one knows what to do on it.

The thing that really got me on Facebook is the hatred posts that get added and shared and liked so much that one is just ready to scream.  I was so tired of seeing this and that is an understatement.  No one has any decency online it seems.  I just have no desire to see this, hear it, read it, or participate in it.


It seems like so much nonsense gets shared on Facebook that it becomes very difficult or almost impossible to follow what your friends do.  I don't mind a couple of "feel good memes", but when you see 5 or 10 or 20 shared at one time, it really gets annoying.  I want to know what's going on in your life, not how much you can share or like in a day.

Then there is the politics.  Oh how I hate politics.  Everyone thinks they have the right view and they are going to make sure you know that.  After all, their political beliefs need to be broadcast to the world.  The politicians sure hoodwinked America and I'm not referring to one party over another.  Politics is nothing more than people raising money to further their own egos.  Sorry, but I don't play that game.

It doesn't help that some of the most horrendous images are shared on Facebook from hunters.  I have no desire to see that you killed an animal with a gun and somehow think you're superior by sharing this on Facebook.  Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm offended when I'm forced to look at it.

I get so tired of people passing other horrible pictures along to get "likes" and to get people to click on them.  This includes saying "amen" or "God" or liking something so that everyone somehow knows you're a person that loves the religious postings.  I mean, do you really think God sits up in Heaven trying to figure out who to bless in a day because you liked and shared certain posts.  Let me pause for an eye roll here!

All too often, people type more on a computer screen then they would ever say in public.  I saw this on the old time message boards.  When people don't interact face to face, there is a filter that is missing.  When that filter is missing, being human is not a top priority.

Social Media isn't going to change to something that is normal any time soon.  It isn't going to get enlightened and become balanced.  Sure, they do some good things, but staying connected through Facebook or Twitter 100% of the time is exhausting.

I don't expect most people to take a social media break.  However, I am taking a break from social media, especially Facebook.  I really enjoy having my life back and until I took a break, I didn't realize just how much it was consuming in my day.  These things can be very time consuming in a day.

The answers to the world's problems and issues aren't going to be solved on Facebook.  The future of this world isn't going to be found in a Facebook post that is shared and liked and propagated without the slightest thought of whether it really needs to be passed on.

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life.  This post is about me just sharing that a break from social media is feeling good.  There is a life beyond Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn.

As I write this, I know it will get shared to Facebook.  Does that make me a product of my own dislike?  Unfortunately if I don't share it to Facebook, the system will deem it not as important.  How ironic!








-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 11/25/15 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”