Wednesday, December 30, 2015

People Who Have All The Answers

Too many people think they know more than they do.  Well at least that is an opinion I sometimes hold.  I often ask people their views and I try to listen to what they say, but boy, oh boy, what you get along with that is - well, entertaining.

Growing up in my house you had to listen to several people screaming at the top of their lungs that they knew everything.  I can remember learning to drive and having my Dad, my mom and my older brother all trying to tell me what to do.  It was a nightmare.

When I finally drove by myself for the first time, I pulled into a parking lot waiting for someone to tell me where to park.  It finally dawned on me that I was alone in the car and had to make that decision.  People were sure honking at me as I tried to figure that out too! 

People mean well, but sometimes they act like they know everything.  They claim many things, but if I read between the lines, I can see the hurt if I don't accept what they are saying.  I can see so much between the lines.

It is one thing to listen to what others see and know, but at the end of the day, each of us has to make our own choices and decisions.  If we are following what other people say, then we are missing out on who we are.  We aren't giving ourselves full credit.

I doubt any of us are ever going to stop someone from being more than pushy with opinions and thoughts.  I doubt we'll move the marker with them on how to calm it down a bit.  Its just a fact of life.

If you're a sensitive person like I am, you can sometimes get hurt pretty easily.  Sometimes I put my walls up just to insulate myself and sometimes I run away almost screaming hysterically.

We all need to watch how we interact with other people.  Sometimes the best thing you can do is just listen, not necessarily force our views and opinions on other people.  Sometimes other people so badly need us to be there with the full force of our two ears and be nothing else.

Being a know it all isn't always the one that everyone wants to be around in life.  Sometimes everyone says, "I wish they would tone it down or just stop".  Even if these things get said to some people, it just never seems to sink in.

Even online, there are those that read something and immediately think they have to tell you what you should do.  I had one of those recent moments and I was not even talking about an issue.  It was a post about things I was learning.  This person came at me like I didn't know what I was doing.  Politely  and assertively, I shared with them that they had the picture wrong.  It wasn't about me.  It was about their issue that my post triggered.  Sometimes we don't know when we've been triggered because we are so numb.

The more we can learn to listen to one another, the more we will truly be there for others.  We have all kinds in this world and that's great because this world would be pretty dull otherwise.  The only thing is we need to check in with ourselves and see how we are impacting those around us.  Don't just assume you are fine because you think you are.  Check the reflection in the mirror and it will help you grow closer to people, not further away.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 12/10/15 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”