Thursday, November 19, 2015

Sixty Percent Taking Prescription Drugs

This statistic is shocking in some ways and in many ways it is not.  Nearly 60% of Americans take some type of prescription drugs.  This was according to a recently released study in the Journal Of American Medicine.  Now before you start hurling rocks at me and saying that your prescription drug is a necessity, let me say, "I understand".

Its fair to say that I've taken prescription drugs over the course of my life.  I wanted to be fair and say that up front.  I took stuff for stomach problems, allergies, migraine headaches, anxiety, and antidepressants.  So, before you throw the rocks at me, just realize where I was at during most of my life.

Today I take no medications.  I have a small bottle of Aleve that will last me for a long time.  Other than that, there is nothing I take on a daily basis. I rarely take Aleve and generally only when I've been traveling and need to be at my peak or I've overdone it with yardwork and hurt like there is no tomorrow.

I have found ways to deal with the physical situations that were arising in my life that caused me to take medications.  I know that the tests and medical community convince us that we need all these drugs, but for the most part, I don't agree.  Of course, do what you need to do for yourself and don't take this as medical advice.


It does however mean that we've got to go in and do the hard work rather than pop a pill.  Sometimes while we are doing the hard work, we need the pill to help us face the impossible.

Unfortunately there are times that we've so abused our bodies and our minds that maybe medications are the only escape now.  I'm not sure I buy that philosophy yet, but I've seen evidence that sometimes we can abuse our bodies past a point of no return.

You are the only one that can educate yourself as to why you need to take medication.  You are the only one that can make life changes and do the hard work in life to balance your mind and body so that medications may no longer be needed.  No one else can do this for you.  It is a decision you and you alone can make.

The thing I see though is that we take the pill and think all our problems are better.  Sure, the advertisements we are bombarded with tell us that is all we need to do.  It doesn't make the pharmaceutical companies and their stock holders money if we find a way to live life without the drugs.  However, I'm concerned with the long term effect of taking all these medications is on the future.  I don't believe we know that answer and I think it will be too late when we do.

I fully believe we have the power within our self to change our physiology and biology.  Yes, I'll admit, I might not believe this on some things, but more and more I'm even doubting those doubts.  Between how we balance the mind and body and food based healing, I think the potential for living a life free of medications and disease is possible.  We just have to embrace it if we are to find out if it exists.

Back to my story for a moment though.  I didn't automatically change my life over night, but I have always been one that hated taking any type of pill.  I've been that way since I was a child.  As I continued to release so much of the junk that was stored in my body and mind, I found I no longer needed the things I once was convinced I did.  As I have embraced whole food smoothies as part of my daily life, I found a way to keep myself healthy, rather than getting colds and flu.

Again, if you don't believe me, that is fine.  Prove me wrong.  You don't even have to do it for me.  Just prove it to yourself because you're the one that matters.

I also want you to know that there is a good chance you might be taking something that is needed and there is no other way.  This blog post isn't necessarily for you. 

However, I know from first hand experience that if I would have listened to the doctors, I most likely wouldn't have made it this far in life.  It's something to think about because not everything is as it seems.  I know, that's my opinion, but I've found it to be true in my life.






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 11/3/15 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”