Thursday, September 1, 2011

Creativity Keeps Me Going

Painted Kitties by Jeff and Don
I'm kind of like John Boy from the Waltons when it comes to creativity.  John Boy also stated that if he didn't write things down, all the stuff would get jumbled in his head and he wouldn't be able to function.  For me, if I don't find creative outlets for myself, then I get extremely bored and agitated. 

Most of the time, I doubt anyone would care what I create.  Maybe they would but I have no idea.  I still remember as a small child always "making things" for my family members.  They often would laugh at me, sometimes behind my back and sometimes in front of my face.  For some reason, I would still make them things.  Yes, they were simple things but were always made from the heart with love. (not that my family understood what love meant).


I still enjoy creating things in general for people that I love.  The things I make are from deep within my heart and are very special displays of my love for these people.  We are in the process of painting two little wooden kittens for Jeff's mom.  Each of us are painting different parts of it and they are cute!  (just see the picture with this post).  We have made them into refrigerator magnets so she can display them on her refrigerator.

Most likely, others could do a more professional job but I'm happy with how they turned out.  I like the rough look to them without everything being 100% polished.  I hope she will love them as much as I enjoyed doing this.

Creativity does not have to be about doing something spectacular or difficult or attempting to be like some well known artist.  I believe it just needs to be about opening your heart and mind up to allow yourself to create in the moment.  The rest will fall into place.  Yes, there are art critics everywhere but who is to say that what you create is not what you should be creating.

As I write this post, I can't help but think of the book I read a couple of years ago by Ellen J. Langer "On Becoming an Artist - Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity".  According to Ellen Langer, being mindful in creativity is far more important than what you create.  I would agree with her!

Further Reading:
1)  On Becoming An Artist - by Ellen J. Langer
2)  Yellow Butterfly Painting - Blog Post June 13, 2011



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post & Images (c) 8/25/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only
http://www.donshetterly.com

If any part of this post is used or shared, a link back to this site is required.
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Please ask for permission before reprinting this article. Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”