Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Being Okay With The Uncomfortable

In a previous post, I shared a video about emotional fitness done by Dr Paul Canali and Jim Fazio.  I understand what Dr Canali and Jim are talking about, but as they know so well, it isn't always that easy to do this.  Being okay with the uncomfortable takes some work to get there.

For me, this has hit home front and center.  From being paralyzed by a Conversion Disorder almost 25 years ago to the physical pains I sometimes go through, I struggle with these moments.  I still struggle with my memory and that's not always easy for me.  I'm not always comfortable with these things.

Being okay with the uncomfortable is something I'm learning.  In every Unified Therapy session I go into, I learn more how to not get myself overwhelmed by what is coming up on the table.  I learn how to stop and stay present with it as long as I can.  Of course, I can't always do this for a prolonged period of time.


Consider a runner that is going to be running a marathon.  They don't wake up today and decide to go out and run a marathon.  They train by stretching and exercising and building up the miles they can run.  Once they have conditioned themselves, then they are able to run the marathon.

It is the same in healing and being okay with the uncomfortable.  By going into these moments in a safe and controlled manner, we give our brains, our minds, and our bodies more room for expansion.  We give ourselves the possibility that there is more than we current know.  We give ourselves more ability to be with all of life, rather than hiding in the feel good platitudes of numbness.

If you haven't had a chance to watch the video from the previous post, please check out "Emotional Fitness"with Dr Canali and Jim Fazio.  It is the blog post from June 29, 2015.




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 6/301/15 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”