Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fainting At The Sight Of Needles

If you have experienced fainting to the degree that people with phobias have, it isn’t a pleasant experience. In fact, if you are like me, just writing about this topic is enough that I need to take frequent breaks from. Just the topic about this can almost make me feel like I’m going to faint. So, if you’re one of those, go gently on yourself when you read this.

According to an article on MSNBC.com, Afraid Of Needles? Why Some Faint At The Very Sight, seeing a needle in a medical setting is enough to make even the toughest of us faint. People who are terrified of needles get the same heart racing, shallow breathing and nerve jangling reactions seen in other intense fears. But the tendency to faint is what sets some medical phobias apart from, say being petrified of heights or spiders.

Ever since I can remember, I fainted at just about everything. Let’s see, there was the time I was in the waiting room of the doctor’s office when my brother was getting his cast off and I heard the sound of the saw cutting the plaster apart. There were many times when I would get a cut on any place on my body and the minute I felt it or saw the blood, down I would go.

I used to get a lot of splinters and my parents would take the sewing needle to get them out. More often than not, I’d be passed out before they were done. I can remember getting all of those shots you get in school as a kid and either crying every time or passing out.

There were times that I have had to have medical xrays or procedures done which required no needles and have passed out. Far too many times, I’ve passed out in dentist offices and often it was before any work was scheduled to be done. Even one time when I had an MRI done, I passed out.

Watching veterinarians do medical procedures on animals has brought me to my knees on more than one occasion and in college, I was an Animal Science/Pre Vet major. Imagine trying to do some of these things and learn in college labs but passing out so easily.

I still remember when we were doing blood types in a college lab and I told the lab professor about my dilemma. She quickly excused me from lab and prevented me from having to go through that experience.

For a continuation of this topic, read the next blog post on June 10, 2011, Fainting From More Than Needles.

Further Reading:
1) Afraid Of Needles? Why Some Faint At The Very Sight (MSNBC)
2) Fainting From More Than Needles (June 10, 2011)
3) Helpful Tips For Fainting (June 11, 2011)
4) Fear Of The Dentist (July 6, 2010)
5) Living As A Highly Sensitive Person (Jan 20, 2011)




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post & Images (c) 6/7/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only
http://www.donshetterly.com

If any part of this post is used or shared, a link back to this site is required.
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”