Thursday, September 11, 2014

Sickened By Those Who Support Wife Beaters

Yep, it happened again!  Should I say, surprise, surprise?  Most likely not, because this is a serious issue that happens every day in our world.  Too many women including wives and girlfriends are beaten by their husbands and boyfriends/partners.  Yet, the world goes on turning a blind eye to it, screaming out with gasps when it becomes public.

Am I upset because a recent NFL player (Ray Rice) is caught on video beating his wife?  You bet I am!  Am I upset because those around them probably knew it was going on and did nothing.  You bet I am!  Am I upset because the NFL owners and executives had the tape but failed to know anything about it?  You bet I am.  Am I upset because many fans will continue to watch the NFL and support them with their dollars while screaming out anger for what was done?  You bet I am!

Maybe its not fair to lump everyone in these scenarios together, but you know what - either you are part of making the world a better place, or you're part of the problem.  Supporting sports like the NFL and others that allow these things to go on is being complacent.  Its being part of the problem, not the solution.  Am I being harsh about this - maybe - and maybe not!


We condone these things in our society and throughout the world by turning a blind eye to them.  We condone them by supporting these wife beaters by giving our money to them as we worship them as holy deities.  We don't want to see what is often before our eyes.  We'd rather go into our days with our brains so numb to what being human means.

Yes, I'm sure not everyone that is a wife beater has been exposed.  It doesn't even have to be in sports, because wife beaters are in every walk of life.  They are in your churches.  They are school leaders and community leaders and political leaders.  They are the good ol' boys down the block.  They are everywhere and they thrive because we as a society allow them to thrive.

I've seen enough women who were beat, including my mom.  Most don't get out.  Most can't escape.  Some don't make it and others suffer in silence.

I've seen the after affects of women who were beaten when I did volunteer massage in a recovery center.  Feeling their pain and seeing the struggle in their eyes, I could feel the weight of the world upon their shoulders trying to piece their lives back together.

I remember seeing the clients who could not be touched, but so longing for healthy touch.  I could see the clients that would keep their clothes on and barely allow me to touch them.  I remember the ones that could only allow me to lay my one single hand on their back for a few moments before they would become so triggered by the ghosts of their past.  Each one shares a special place in my heart for the courage they faced.

I am sickened by those who are wife beaters and who support wife beaters.  There is absolutely no place for it in this world.  It doesn't make you a big man if you do it.  Rather, it makes you a weak little wimp.  If you're a wife beater or a supporter of a wife beater, you're not human.  You don't have a clue what being human means.

Maybe the way I'm writing this blog post is causing you discomfort and if it is, I don't apologize.  I want this to be in your face because I'm tired of seeing people abused, whether it is women or children or even men.  Yes, men are abused by women as well, but we don't talk about it that much.  Its just easier to close our eyes.

So my question I will leave with you is - are you part of the problem or part of the solution?  Do your actions in your life back up your conclusion?

Or in a few weeks when the story has died down, will you even think about it?  Will you even remember it?  My guess is NO!

Written in tribute of "One More Moment With My Mom".





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 9/10/14 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”