Friday, August 10, 2012

Vegetarian Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole

I'm sure I am not the only one that has created this dish and most likely there are a million and one ways to create it.  This recipe is my version that I like.  Of course, each person is free to make it the way they enjoy it, but at least this gives you a starting point.

It is a relatively simple dish to make.  Most of the recipes out there that I saw used some type of cream soup.  However, in my version, I use gravy that I make and I think it tasted very good this way.  So here's the recipe for Vegetarian Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole made Don's way!

Ingredients:

1 bag of MorningStar Burger Crumbles
About 1 pound or so of green beans
About 8 ounces of cheddar cheese
1 - 32 ounce bag of tater tots.
2 to 3 cups of gravy





Directions:

  1. Wash and snap green beans, then steam.  In my steamer it took about an hour to steam them to the desired tenderness.  It may vary with your steamer.  I prefer to steam them because I think they taste better and retain the nutritional value more.
  2. Take the tater tots out of the freezer and let them thaw while you are preparing everything else.
  3. Prepare Gravy.  Below is how I make my gravy because I try not to use anything with onions and garlic.  Feel free to substitute your version here if it works for you.
    • I boil 3 cups of water in my tea kettle and then pour it into a metal bowl with 4 large vegetable bouillon cubes.  Make sure they dissolve.  Set this aside close to your stove because it becomes your broth for the gravy.
    • Add about 4 to 5 tablespoons of virgin olive oil into a sauce pan and heat up until the oil starts to boil.
    • Add about 4 to 5 tablespoons of flour into the mixture and form a paste, stirring it with a whisk to remove any lumps. 
    • Now is the time to adjust your mixture if you need more oil or flour.  I have no idea how to tell you what is the right way, but I just learned this trial and error.
    • Before the flour/oil mixture dries out, begin adding your broth mixture, stirring with a whisky constantly.  Keep combining it under you have the desired texture and thickness of the gravy you want.  As it cooks, it will dry out and thicken more.  
    • Add spices such as salt, black pepper and celery salt if you so desire.
    • Set the gravy aside to be used in a few moments.
  4.  Prepare burger crumbles according to directions on package.
  5. Combine burger crumbles, gravy and green beans in a big mixing bowl until everything is mixed completely.
  6. Take a 9x13 baking dish (I prefer glass baking dishes) and lightly spray the dish with cooking spray or whatever you use. 
    • Spread the mixture from step 4 into the baking dish.
    • Now line the top with the tater tots
    • Add the cheddar cheese to the top
  7. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until everything is warm and the cheese is melted.


I doubled all the ingredients and it made a large quantity.  It tasted so good though and it was like having a 3 course meal all in one dish. If you try this and have questions or if I didn't explain something good, please feel free to comment with a question and ask me to explain.  I hope you enjoy this Vegetarian Green Bean and Tater Tot Casserole recipe - made Don's Way!

For another recipe, check out Don's Vegetarian Mexican Pasta .



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 7/29/12 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”