Friday, November 5, 2010

Oprah, Tyler Perry, and 200 Male Survivors Stand Together

Today (Nov 5) on Oprah, the first of a two part episode on Male Survivors is airing. If you have been reading my blog, you know that I'm one of the 200 male survivors in the audience. Since the taping of the show, I have experienced so much support from so many people and some of these are complete strangers to me. Some of the comments and stories shared with me have touched me deeply.

Before the show and after it, I have been on an emotional roller coaster. None of this has been easy and in fact, there have been times that the pain has been great, the tears many and the fears were knocking on my door. In spite of all these things, I would still do a show like this again. It was an experience of a life time. It is one that I will never forget. This episode of 200 male survivors coming together on Oprah with Tyler Perry was empowering. It is hard to describe just how much it has meant to my life.

As I write this, I have been interviewed by the Orlando Sentinel and the Daytona Beach News Journal about my own story and experience on the Oprah Show. My story is difficult to share and probably difficult for many to read. Normally I am very afraid to talk on the phone to complete strangers. However, today I found myself with the courage to do this. It was like I had the full support of 200 other male survivors. I felt empowered to speak out and I know it is the time to stand up and publicly break my own silence.

Article In Orlando Sentinel - Hal Boedeker

Article in Daytona Beach News Journal

I hope that each one reading this will watch the Oprah show today (Friday, Nov 5) and the second part of it on Nov 12. It will be a powerful show and according to Oprah on her press release, it is not only a historical show but to her, it is one of her top shows of all times. This show is important because people need to know that these things take place and we as a society need to work to stop and prevent them from happening. To the men that have been through this, I want you to know from my own experience, that you are not alone. There are many others. You do not need to suffer in silence any more. Yes, it is a difficult path to heal but with the support of others, there is recovery. There is healing!

Please note that if you are watching the show, I am sitting behind Oprah and have a purple shirt on.

To Read More About My Experiences on the Show, Click Here


For further support, check out the following places

Dr. Paul Canali, Trauma Recovery


Don Shetterly.com - Licensed Massage Therapist

Male Survivor Organization

Facebook - Male Survivors on Oprah's Echo Group

2 comments:

  1. As site administrator to a project for sexual abuse survivors I was extremely touched by the show and by your blog here. I'm so thrilled to see so many people coming together and talking about this taboo topic and I pray you will all join us on www.pointswithpurpose.com and get your dot in an awesome drawing in honour of survivors of rape, incest and sexual abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just want to thank Oprah for doing such a moving story, and bringing to light the prevalence of childhood sexual abuse. For any survivors out there in need of help, don't hesitate to contact us at Survivors Healing Center.
    831-423-7601
    info@survivorshealingcenter.org
    2301 Mission Street, suite C-1
    Santa Cruz, CA, 95060

    or

    104 Walnut Ave, suite 208
    Santa Cruz, CA, 95060

    ReplyDelete

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”