Saturday, June 18, 2016

How To Conquer Pain With Ginger

I'm writing this because it is something that has worked for me.  I'm not trying to be a medical expert, so this is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice for you.  Please use it in the best possible way for yourself, but do so with medical advice if that applies to you.

I am a person that tries hard to never take prescription medications or over-the-counter pharmaceuticals and drugs.  It is the way I am.  I've basically been this way since I was a young kid where my dad would try to force everything down me that I didn't want to take.

Now, I'm not going to say that I never take anything, but if you come in my house, you will see very little medications anywhere.  I would have to go to the store to buy most things.  I do have a small bottle of Aleve that seems to last me forever.

Unfortunately, I still get physical pain even though I do a lot of mind-body work on myself.  Over-exertion, emotional stress or just plain old stress can create pain.  Lack of exercise can also bring about stress in me.  When the pain gets too intense, then I start looking for relief.

Keep in mind that I don't just grab a pain relief pill at the first chance I get.  I try to identify what is going on in my life that caused the pain and see if I can make corrections to alleviate it.  I work through breathing and mind-body guided movements applying the felt-sense concept so that I can move myself out of pain.  In other words, I try natural things available to all of us before I reach for something that will mask the pain.

When these things don't work or maybe I need an extra boost to the connection of the pain to the part of the mind body experience that is impacted, I reach for some ginger fire water that I make.  From my experience, it helps and it also helps reduce inflammation in my body which seems to be the culprit energizing the physical pain.

I know there are different ways you can do this, but I'm going to give you what I do.  Please let me know if you do something different.

My recipe is as follows:  (please note that these are approximations for quantities of ingredients).

Ingredients:

  1. About .25 pounds of ginger (more or less) - cut into thin slices
  2. Approximately 1 gallon of water
  3. Large handful of Goji Berries (click link for high quality ones)

If you click the picture to the left, you will see the exact Goji Berries that I use.  They are high quality and we actually use some of these in our daily whole food smoothies.  If you purchase several packages at one time, you save money on shipping.  The Goji Berries give the ginger fire water a good taste.  Golgi berries are a superfood and they very healthy.  

I actually slice the ginger up into thinner pieces just so it can cook more thoroughly.  Place all of these in a large boiling pot and cover it with a lid.  Bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat to a steady boil for about an hour.  Once it is done, I let it cool and put it in quart glass canning jars which I store in the refrigerator.

When you need it,  just take about a cup and warm it up slightly in a pan on the stove and drink it.  It doesn't take much from what I can tell, but it sure helps me.

This is how I conquer pain with ginger.  I have seen it referred to as Fire Water and I will tell you that it does have a spicy kick to it.  I enjoy the smell of it as it is boiling and cooking.

This is what works for me on pain and if one cup isn't enough after a few hours, I'll have another cup.  I try not to overdo it but I think that I read a research study the other day where they were using ginger to help people with chronic pain.  I just cannot find the study now.

Do what is best for you and if you're taking medications, it is probably smart to check with your doctor to make sure they don't have any issues with you doing this.  I'm not a medical doctor, so I can't give you advice on your condition.  I'm just letting you know what I do in my own life.

Sometimes I think it affects my stomach and digestive system a little.  I have a sensitive system anyway, so that is the only precaution that I am aware of at this time.

You may also be interested to read a recent blog post on Chronic Pain Prolonged With Painkillers.

http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/06/chronic-pain-prolonged-with-painkillers.html

Please comment below if you try this recipe and let me know how it worked.  I'm sure others would be interested in your experiences.





Blog Post And Images (c) 2016 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”