Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Are You On The Right Path

I was watching a previous broadcast of an episode on OWN with Oprah interviewing Caroline Myss.  Caroline Myss is the author of books such as the Anatomy Of The Spirit and Sacred Contracts.  While I have heard of this author before, it is the first time I really became acquainted with her work and got to see her being interviewed.  There were so many good parts from this episode and if you can, try searching them on google or YouTube.  However, in this post, I'm going to focus on one important point that was discussed.

How do you know when you are on the right path?  That was the question that Oprah posed to Caroline Myss.  It is a question many people ask themselves.  Her answer included the following points.  First, have no judgement about your life.  Second, have no expectations about your life. Third, give up the need to know what happens tomorrow.


By focusing on these three things, you will be able to easily and quickly find out if you are on the right path.  In fact, she said we never fall off of our path, but sometimes we take detours.  It isn't so much about whether we are on the right path or not, but how we manage the choices that we make.

Going back to Caroline's answer to Oprah, it makes sense, but it still seems harder than what she stated.  Maybe as humans, we just try to make things much more difficult than they need to be, but I find myself doing that as well and asking this same question.

It is easy for me to understand that judgements in life really get you no where.  I grew up in a home that judged everyone and everything.  Even though we were a devout Christian family where the bible teaches, judge not, lest ye be judged (Matthew 7:1), it didn't seem to resonate with our consciousness.  Many people who are devout Christians make this mistake and can't see the log in their own eye, while they notice the speck in the eyes of everyone else. (see Matthew 7:3-5).  Judgement is an evil thing to hold within yourself and it does very little good.  In fact, it often separates you from humanity.  God only knows I've struggled for years to shed the judgement that was taught to me from a little child into adulthood.  In many ways, it is like detoxifying yourself from the brainwashing while growing up as a child.

Have no expectations in life is one that I don't fully understand.  It may take me reading her book more on this subject to fully understand this.  What I believe she is saying is not to go through life having all of these preconceived expectations of what everything will be like.  For if we already have everything clearly depicted in our life, we will miss where we are at.  Like I said, I'm not sure if I fully understand this point so I may be off a little on my interpretation.

Give up the need to know what happens tomorrow is one that I really get and one that I really struggle with in my life.  I want to know.  I want to calculate for error and uncertainty.  I don't like surprises that I can't control in my life.  Yet, I understand that if I try to control everything that may happen tomorrow, I will miss tomorrow.  In fact, most likely I'll be more miserable if I do this.  I will be missing out on the joy in life.

If we just take each moment that we have and live it to the fullest, the rest will fall along our footsteps.  We will no longer need to worry about that which we cannot control.  We will more fully enjoy all that we have and all that we fail to notice in our day.

I am glad I got to see this interview and it helps me to understand if I am on the right path.  I question it at times and sometimes it doesn't feel that way.  Yet, if I view my life as many experiences that I have learned from, instead of situations I have had to endure, it makes my life more joyful and full.  I'm not saying this is easy and I struggle as well like everyone else, but life is all in the way we view it or the way we choose to suffer through it.  Let us all, think back to these three things and help determine the answer to the question, are you on the right path?

Caroline Myss is the author of several books including





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 7/23/12 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”