Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Book Review: Daring Greatly - Brene Brown

Daring Greatly By Brene Brown
I'm only partially into this book and I can barely put it down!  I saw the original TED talk on YouTube and that blew my mind away.  The book is basically adding to that!  Thanks Brene Brown for blowing my mind!  (and I say that in a good way).  Daring  Greatly was featured on OWN Super Soul Sunday a few weeks back and rightfully so!

Most likely there are people out there that are yawning and thinking that talking about vulnerability and shame are like the most boring subjects one could discuss.  Or perhaps like an example I just saw, they dismiss it because it hits too close to home.  It could be that others just don't see this as being worthy enough of their time to read.  I'd offer up in a very strong and forceful way that if you fall into these categories, you really need to read this book.

It is so down to earth and a very simple read.  It is written just as Brene Brown would give a lecture and tell a story.  There is not one part of it that is boring or just academic or one of those college texts you have to read when you're in school.  Most books like this, I can only read a little bit before my eyes are drifting off, but this one - it holds my attention.  In fact, Daring Greatly, holds my attention to the point I don't want to quit reading it.


It is easy to process.  So many of the books out there that can help are filled with so much detail that the mind has to tread slowly in digesting what it means.  Too many authors write in a way that doesn't engage the reader or at least not through an entire book.  Brene Brown is a different kind of author (and speaker) and one that works!

Vulnerability and shame are two biggies in life!  We all deal with it or we all avoid it.  Either way, it confronts every part of our life and unless we learn to recognize it and deal with it, it impacts everything we do in life.  The world would be so much better off if we taught this to every inhabitant.  I'm not kidding when I say this either.  It is that powerful of a book.

I know that I have to personally deal with a lot of shame from my past and I know that being vulnerable in my own life is extremely hard to do.  To expose myself up to others is not easy and to know how to trust is even more difficult.  I've been hurt in many deep ways throughout my life especially from a very early age and so navigating through life can be very tricky for me.  It affects everything in my life from my personal relationships to my work and creativity.

While I wanted to share some quotes, there are so many things in the book that I could share, I don't know where to start.  I will be writing individual blog posts in the days ahead about some part in the book that touched me deeply.

Until then, are you going to sit by the side of the road and let fear win over or are you going to dare greatly and read Brene Brown's book, Daring Greatly?  The choice is yours of course, but don't just brush it aside.

By the way - when you start reading it, please come back here and share a comment about what you've been learning!  I'd love to hear from you.

If you want to know more about her TED conference talk on Vulnerability, check out my blog post on Vulnerability and Numbing Emotions.


Daring Greatly By Brene Brown
Buy On Amazon
Daring Greatly
Brene Brown








-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 4/12/13 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”