Monday, April 17, 2017

Psychic Development – Where do I start?

(by A Happy Medium, Amanda)


Rumi says it best – “Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.”

For me that silent pull comes from mediumship and being a messenger for spirit. I’m truly amazed and honored to have the ability to provide so much help and closure to other people. Every reading is an adventure. You never know what is going to come in.

You may have had gifts for mediumship and psychic work all your life, or you may just be wondering how you can start to develop these gifts in yourself.

I tell people that not using your intuition is like deciding you don’t need one of your legs. You have one leg that you can hop around on, so who needs two? All of us have intuition and the choice of whether or not we use it.

I was doing a Facebook live broadcast the other day over at my Facebook Page  (shameless self-promotion), and I asked the audience what they wanted to hear from me in a blog post. Someone commented that I should talk about my journey specific to my own development. That would be a long story, and we’d be here for a long time, so I’ll keep it to the Cole’s notes version.

I have always had the knowledge of my own intuition. As a child, I would see entities and spirits. Of course, that was traumatic and I shut that down in myself at a fairly young age. Throughout my life, I felt drawn to mediums in particular, and there was a little voice inside my head that would say, “I can do that!” As life tends to speed along at breakneck pace, I didn’t pay a ton of attention to it, but I always knew I could ask for help and help would arrive. It was always very clear when I was going on the wrong path. I would hear the advice in my head and change course. I also can remember some definitive quantum moments (when spiritual time and linear time meet) through the course of my life.  Anyway, it was when I got pregnant with my son in 2012 that my journey really got serious.

If you had told me back then that I would be as successful a medium as I am now, I’d be incredulous. I don’t think I believed I had it in me back then to have the type of confidence to welcome people into my home and read them.

Here are a few steps to Psychic or Spiritual Development:
  1. FIND A MENTOR
    This is important. Dr. Wayne Dyer used to say, “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” This was very true in my case. I met my mentor in November of 2012. I had some unfinished stuff that I needed to resolve around the death of my grandma, and I finally took the initiative to find a medium in my area. I looked at a few sites, and the first one that popped up looked quite welcoming and I emailed and booked a reading. I went for the reading and low and behold, that person is now my mentor. She has been for the last 5 years. She is incredible. Honestly and truly, I thank the Universe every day for her, because without her, I wouldn’t be where I am in this journey.

    In choosing a mentor, it’s important to find someone who you really resonate well with. This person is the person that YOU choose to walk this path with you. This person will guide you in your spiritual pursuits. You want to make sure that they are genuine and have your best interest at heart. You also want to make sure that they are worth their salt as a medium/psychic/whatever. Get a reading, ask questions, check references if you choose. I didn’t have to check references with mine because she is just fantastic and I knew off the hop that she was the right teacher for me. When you are ready, ask the Universe for the right teacher and they will appear for you. Trust me on that!
  2. SELF WORK
    Before you start wading into other people’s lives and trying to help, you need to make sure that your own life is in order. I spent 3 years on self work with my mentor before I proceeded on to reading others. It’s really important that you take the time to look through your own closet and put any skeletons to rest. Now in saying that, please know that I am not perfect and I still struggle with some things as they arise, but by doing all the self work I have done, I’m much better equipped to deal with challenges, setbacks etc, since I can see things in a different way and I really think I bring that to the table in my interactions with my clients.  Be prepared to go within. This will involve a lot of quiet introspection and meditation.  You need to learn how you communicate with Spirit, whether you hear, see, feel or whether it’s a combination of things. You need to get clear on how you receive guidance, how you ask for it, and the ability to distinguish positive energies from negative ones (a hint is that negative entities often use flattery to get your attention!) Anyway, self work really continues through your career as an intuitive, but it’s one of the primary steps before you start reading others.
  3. LEARN, LEARN, LEARN
    Become a sponge for spirit. Listen to and use your mentor for advice. Read everything you can get your hands on. I started with some of these:


    These are just a few of the books I thought of off the top of my head that were important in my journey. Be sure that you get a good cross section of topics that interest you (clairvoyancy, clairaudience, self development, healing, etc.)


  4. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
    This is important. Someone said something on the internet one day about how much you read and how much you practice. If you don’t practice the things you are reading, you can’t really expect a ton of development to take place. You need to commit yourself to practicing what you are learning, otherwise you can read all the spiritual books in the world and not develop at all.
  5. INVITE MORE SPIRITUAL PEOPLE INTO YOUR LIFE
    Ask the Universe to bring more people into your life that believe in this stuff and will support you. You are not crazy! You’d be surprised how many people there are out there walking their own paths as healers, empaths, mediums and psychics. You are certainly not alone and there are a lot of people out there who are happy to help and support you. Heck, they’re glad to invite another spiritual person into their life to help and support them as well. I often picture the world as a black and white photograph where people are wandering around with their heads down. Every now and then a person walks by in full technicolor with their head up looking around and waving emphatically at other technicolor people. We love to meet and support each other.
That’s a good start for your own development. Try it out and let me know how it’s going. Don’t give up and don’t let anyone’s judgement dissuade you from your path. I want you to know that you are loved, you are divine and you are deserving of all the best life has to offer at this moment, as you are.

Take care until next time!


-    Amanda (Metaphysical Musings.Wordpress.com)






Amanda is a regular columnist on Mind Body Thoughts.  She writes A Happy Medium monthly column.  This article is written by Amanda.

To learn more about her and see all her other articles, go to Amanda's Page, A Happy Medium.






Blog Post And Images (c) 2017 by Don Shetterly and Amanda
  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”