Sunday, January 23, 2011

Holding On and Not Letting Go

One of the things that I struggle with in life is letting go. I learned from my mom that people can hold a grudge. I loved my mom but it is one of the traits that she taught me and one of the hardest parts of myself that I give up at times.

I doubt I'm alone in this so I thought I would share a Buddhist story I've heard. I have no idea where this comes from but it is my best recollection of what I have heard before. If this is the work of some author, please let me know who you are and I will credit you for this.

Here's what I remember of the little story about letting go that I heard.

Two monks were traveling along the countryside and came to a river. A lady was afraid to cross the river alone and so she asked the monks if they could carry her across. One monk quickly said yes and put her on his shoulders as he crossed the river. When he got to the other side, he put her down and continued on his way.

As they walked along, the other monk was fuming and brooding about what had just happened. He began to question the other monk. Stating to the other monk that they had taken a vow to never touch a women and how could he pick the woman up and carry her without feeling shame and guilt for what he had done.

Finally the other monk looked at the one who was struggling with this issue and said, "I set her down on the other side of the river. Why are you still carrying her?"


What a great story to help teach us how to let go. A friend of mine was talking about this to me the other day and it helped remind me of just how much I hold on to in life at times. May we all be like the other monk that set the woman down and continued his own walk. May I continually remind myself to set the woman down and continue my own walk each and every day.




Blog Post & Images (c) 1/20/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”