Thursday, March 31, 2016

Conversion Disorder Myths

I remember years ago when I went through this condition in 1991.  I had no idea what was going on and in the early days, the doctors didn't understand either.  It wasn't until a brave neurologist suspected Conversion Disorder or that my life had experienced so much, that things began to look up.

It would be some time before I realized that "Conversion Disorder" was the condition I had.  In those days, there was no internet to look things up and so instead of focusing on what "Conversion Disorder" was by definition, my doctors started helping me integrate myself back into life and reclaim all my physical and mental abilities that I could.

Even in the early days, I had no clue what was behind what had happened to me.  In fact, the details that came into view later, did not fully form until a good year after I was paralyzed.  Yes, I knew I had experienced a lot of "stress" in life, but I did not realize that this stress was much more involved then I knew in the moment.

Minimizing what I had been through which I believe is a very strong trait of those who suffer with Conversion Disorder, kept me from seeing the whole picture.  I mean, if it would have come into plain view at that moment, I doubt I could have kept myself alive.  I'm not going into details here.  You can read more about that in my book.

There are many myths that people are told which are nothing more than myths in my view.  There are many in the healing world that believe these myths.  These myths hold people back when trying to heal from Conversion Disorder.

As a way to begin helping others find their way back, I've written about Conversion Disorder on another website called Somatosync.  There is one article I published recently, called "10 Myths Of Conversion Disorder" that you can check out.




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 2016 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


032716

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience living with and overcoming conversion disorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember in 1991, not having any resources and that was tough. Working on book #2 about all of this and more of how I came through it. My first book is the beginning. This next book will go into much more detail.

      Delete

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”