Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Recovery From A Conversion Disorder, 3

This is part 3 of 3 parts on Recovery From A Conversion Disorder. In order to understand this blog post, please read part 1, posted on 7/11/11 and part 2, posted on 7/12/11

Fortunately, after a few weeks of not being able to take care of myself and traveling back and forth to doctors and tests, a neurologist put me in the hospital. Up until that point, the medical professionals just kept sending me home. More tests were run in the hospital but the neurologist finally began to ask me the hard questions about my past. It was at that point, where a psychologist was brought in and I began to take my first step again.

Many more days and weeks would pass by before life started to get back some resemblance of normal. I would suffer difficult moments both physically and in dealing with my traumatic past. There were times where the physical and mental anguish became too difficult and I attempted to end my life. Somehow through all of this and the support of some close friends, I made it out alive!

To those going through a Conversion Disorder or working with someone that is suffering through it, there is hope . I won’t promise it will be easy but I went from near death to fully functional in my current life. Yes there are still brief moments that I can see affects from this condition but they no longer pull me under.

Dealing with the trauma of the past and the fears associated with them as a result, my life has changed. I have found very few people in my life that truly understand how to treat someone with a Conversion Disorder or know enough about fear to help bring resolution. This isn’t something where you just change your mind and your thoughts. It requires much deeper healing and for one to go in and release those traumatic moments held within the tissues, muscles and cells of the body.

I know there is hope. I know there is possibility. Just don’t give up! Fight with all your might, strength and any ounce of strength you can find within your body.

Please see the links below for further reading and information.


Further Reading:
1) Part 2 - Recovery From A Conversion Disorder (7/12/11)
2) Part 3 - Recovery From A Conversion Disorder (7/13/11)
3) Book - Hope And Possibility Through Trauma by Don Shetterly
4) Conversion Disorder By The Mayo Clinic on CNN Health (2/10/11)



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post & Images (c) 7/10/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only
http://www.donshetterly.com

If any part of this post is used or shared, a link back to this site is required.
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


6 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Lea and I also suffer from conversion disorder. i have created a site myself justmekielinen@blogspot.com as well as a FB page Just Me - Conversion Disorder regarding all the trials and tribulations that we go through. I am trying to create as much awareness regarding this disorder as possible and came across your site! Great site, if you don't mind I'll link it through to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lea, thanks for commenting and sharing your blog. I'll try to write a post soon about your blog as well to help spread the word! Here's to further healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend was just diagnosed with conversion disorder, and I found your blog in a desperate attempt to research this. You are the first one I found who has mentioned symptoms similar to hers, the only difference is that she awoke one morning with everything suddenly presenting: extreme slurred speech, paralysis of both arms and legs, double vision, and no short term memory as well as huge patches of long term memory gone.
    Like you, doctors sent her home without any instruction to her husband how to care for her, except to tell him to follow up with a psychiatrist. Insurance bucked the idea of in-home nursing or in=patient treatment. After three weeks of fighting, we got her in a facility yesterday and we pray she is able to come out of it as well as dig to the bottom of whatever stresses caused her mind to kick into "shut=down" mode.
    She has years of true serious medical conditions, many traumatic. However I suspect some of the pain that has appeared in the last year may be another form of somatiform disorder: pain disorder. Also recently she had a serious conflict with her birth mother. And she and her husband have also had years of financial struggle...these are the only stressors we are aware of.
    Thanks for your blog and educating others about this disorder...most of my friends' family are in denial about it and just want the docs to heal her...they don't understand what a long road this may be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blog...my best friend was just diagnosed with conversion disorder, presenting much like yours except hers came upon her suddenly, she awoke with the symptoms. They included slurred speech, paralyzed legs and arms, no short term memory and huge gaps in long term, and double vision. After 3 weeks of fighting with doctors just as you did, we yesterday finally got insurance to cover some in=patient care for her, and we pray she gets the help she needs.
    Family members are in denial about how serious and difficult a road this recovery could be...they just wanted her put up so she could get fixed and sent back to them to carry on as before. They don't realize her body and mind were crying out for help and that they will have to change their lifestyle to help her continue on from here.
    We aren't aware of any childhood trauma, but she has had years of truly serious medical traumas, brain surgeries, and diagnosis, (including intense pain this past year that I now feel may have been another somataform disorder),along with the finanical nightmare that follows a heavy medical history, and a recent conflict with her birth mother.
    Thanks for posting about your recovery...it gives me hope and educates the public about a rare condition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @dudette77 - I feel for your friend. It isn't an easy recovery road but it is possible. I do have a book that I wrote that may be of help. It is not a direct account of what I went through but is more of the writings and experiences that I went through in some of my healing. It isn't specifically about a conversion disorder. That book is still to be written. However, the book that I wrote may be helpful to your friend. Keep me posted if you can.

    For me, I was up and walking around one day, than the next day I could not stand up on my feet. It progressed from there. Up until that point, I had been very active and was successful in a job. It was very sudden for me as well. And it is sad when the doctors just keep sending you home with no answers even when you can't take care of yourself.

    Thanks for sharing about this. When I went through this, there was no internet to search and I truly felt all alone. I send hugs of understanding to your friend.

    ReplyDelete

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”