Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Recovery From A Conversion Disorder, 2

This is part 2 of 3 parts on Recovery From A Conversion Disorder. In order to understand this blog post, please read part 1, posted on 7/11/11.

Unless you have been through a Conversion Disorder, most people do not understand that to initiate movements in my body was almost hopeless. My brain could command my body to move and yet, it was like the muscles could not hear. It did not matter how hard I tried or how much I wanted to move, my body would just not initiate the movement.

Fortunately, I had some healing people that worked with me who would help initiate the movements. Once the movements were initiated, it was much easier for me to take over. The fear that I was experiencing and reliving as a result of a traumatic past was locking my muscles in place as if a split had been place upon them.

It was difficult for me to know what was going on and in 1991, very few medical professionals knew much about Conversion Disorders. I was passed from doctor to doctor, test to test and misdiagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Some type of steroid type drug was given to me which caused a very horrible reaction where I went into seizure like moments. I was rushed to the hospital at one point in an ambulance because I was unresponsive.

My early days of this ordeal were filled with a lack of energy to the point where I could barely keep myself awake for more than a couple of hours. Pain in my body would come and go, I had no desire to eat or do anything in my life. The fleeting moments of desire for anything vanished into thin air. Breathing was difficult and not something I really wanted.

For the continuation and conclusion of this series, come back on 7/13/11 for part 3. Please see the links below for further reading and information.


Further Reading:
1) Part 2 - Recovery From A Conversion Disorder (7/12/11)
2) Part 3 - Recovery From A Conversion Disorder (7/13/11)
3) Book - Hope And Possibility Through Trauma by Don Shetterly
4) Conversion Disorder By The Mayo Clinic on CNN Health (2/10/11)



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post & Images (c) 7/10/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only
http://www.donshetterly.com

If any part of this post is used or shared, a link back to this site is required.
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”