Friday, September 24, 2010

Stop! Change My Thoughts

Stop! Change my thoughts! Oh how that seems so much easier to say than it is to do. Of course, I realize that these traumatic moments I have been through, get locked in a loop that plays over and over in my mind.

So much of this has become biological that it has forged new neural pathways in my brain. However the more I can become aware of the times I am traveling down the same neural pathway, the more chance I have of forging a different path.

If I continue to travel these old pathways, I am reinforcing them each time. Yes, I know how difficult it is to reverse course. Some times, it feels like trying to paddle the titanic with the oars of a rowboat.

Again, I can just say STOP, when I notice that I am playing these old messages in my brain. I then can make a choice whether to allow myself to continue or give myself an option of something new.

Even if I try this a million times and I am not successful, I can remind myself that I have not failed. Sometimes, it takes many whacks on the overgrown brush trail to find our path so we can place our feet on the next step of our life.


(Above Picture taken at the Lighthouse, Ponce Inlet, FL - (c) 09/14/10)

*Read other articles on Mind Body Thoughts Blog

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    this post reminds me of myself. If feels like I am in a woody and bruchy area outdoors. But my eyes are closed, and I am trying to stay on the path, but all I have to help me is my hearing. Like listening to that moving river just up ahead through these bushes, and tall weeds.

    Staying in touch...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”