Monday, October 3, 2011

Resting Pulse Rate And Elasticity

I have been on a long journey to see my pulse go from around 99 beats per minute down to the low 60's which is more normal and healthy.  For a long time, 99 was my low and 60 bpm was just a dream.  Lately, as part of my Pulse Rate Healthy project, I have been recording my pulse rate.

Last night, when I measured it with my pulse meter, I found that it was only 65.  Usually at night just before I go to bed, that is one of the most difficult times for me.  At this point of the day, my pulse is generally not low and most of the time around 80 or higher.

I was ecstatic when I saw that my post was at 65 going to bed.  Generally I would have to sleep peacefully for eight hours to get to this point.  It felt good and wonderful just to know that I was finally lowering my high resting pulse rate.  In fact, I could actually feel the sense of peacefulness and calmness in my body as I went to sleep.

The pulse is one measurement that helps to show the health of your autonomic nervous system.  One of the things that I have learned is that it is just as important to have elasticity in your nervous system.  This means that if you put your body or nervous system under stress, that when the stress stops, your nervous system will rebound to a normal place.  In the terms of a pulse, it would mean that when you apply stress to the body, the pulse would rise and when the stress was removed, the pulse would come back to the original reading.

However, many people in the world are stressed out already or they have locked up chronic stress, fear, and trauma in their body that the elasticity of the autonomic nervous system is virtually zero.  Humans spend very little time these days being concerned with this and so they force their body into all kinds of dis-ease or physical problems.  Then they rush to the doctor for a pill or medication hoping to "mask" the problem rather than deal with it at its core.

One of the best ways you can begin to understand this is by checking your pulse and learning to connect with your body.  Seeing what your pulse is at various times each day, will begin telling your story.  However, it is important to note that just because your pulse rate is low, it does not mean you have a healthy autonomic nervous system.  Some people actually run low because their nervous system has been pushed beyond its limits and it is "burnt out".  This is an entirely different issue that I will discuss at a later time.

I would urge you to get a pulse meter and begin checking your pulse.  Let it be the first step where you connect your body and mind together with what is actually going on inside.  Without that beginning knowledge, I will assure you that you are just stumbling around in the dark, waiting to stub your toe on something you cannot see.


Related Resources:


Other Blog Posts






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post & Images (c) 9/26/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only
http://www.donshetterly.com

If any part of this post is used or shared, a link back to this site is required.
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Please ask for permission before reprinting this article. Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”