Monday, December 6, 2010

Overcoming Depression

Depression can be so haunting this time of year for many. There are many reasons that it shows up. Anyone who experiences depression does not need to be reminded of these reasons. They are all too familiar. Depression is real and it is not a sign of weakness or that you are doomed.

On Psychology Info.com, it states that "depression is a "whole body" illness, involving your body, mood, and thoughts. It affects the way you eat and sleep, the way you feel about yourself, and the way you think about things. A depressive disorder is not the same as a passing blue mood. It is not a sign of personal weakness or a condition that can be willed or wished away. People with depressive illness cannot merely "pull themselves together" and get better. Without treatment, symptoms can last for weeks, months, or years. Appropriate treatment, however, can help most people who suffer from depression." (See Psychologyinfo.com for more information)

At one time, the medical professionals told me that I would be on medication for most of my life. I took the medication (Zoloft) and it did help. At the time, I was very suicidal so the medication helped stabilize me. When that happened, I was able to start working on things in my life that I needed to work on. I think it is important to note that for someone to just take the medication alone is not sufficient. Anyone taking medication needs to be seeking further help through whatever means you can to help overcome the depression. At the minimum, therapy is essential treatment with depression.

The side effects of this medication were real and horrible to deal with. Because of how difficult they were, I was determined to not stay on the medications for the rest of my life. It was a struggle at times to deal with the depression without medication. However, as time passed and as I became stronger, I was able to live without them. In addition to the medication, I was in weekly therapy to work on the issues in my life that were ripping me to shreds in my body and my mind. Without that therapy, the medication would have been my only saving grace at the time.

Later in my life, I met Dr. Paul Canali, and began going through a new, ground-breaking treatment where I was healing the source of my pain, depression and anxiety. At the time, I did not realize that this was even a possibility. Now, I have learned that I have so much power within myself to heal the depression and anxiety. No longer am I taking medications for this and it has been many years since I stopped taking them. I am not masking or wishing away the depression as I have learned to deal with the sources of it, in my life.

Depression is a serious matter that needs to be addressed. No matter what, it is not a life sentence. You can heal from it if you want to. All of us have so much power within ourselves to heal our body and our mind. If we take our courage and go deep within, we will find freedom and healing. It is up to each one of us to find treatment that helps us heal and becomes more human.


(c) 12/01/10 by Don Shetterly - Use by permission only.

2 comments:

  1. The Guest House by Rumi

    This being human is a guest house.
    Every morning a new arrival.

    A joy, a depression, a meanness,
    Some momentary awareness comes
    As an unexpected visitor.

    Welcome and entertain them all!
    Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
    Who violently sweep your house
    Empty of its furniture,
    Still, treat each guest honorably.
    He may be clearing you out
    For some new delight.

    The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
    Meet them at the door laughing,
    And invite them in.

    Be grateful for whoever comes,
    Because each has been sent
    As a guide from beyond.

    ---The Essential Rumi----

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're correct when you say that depression is a serious matter which needs to be addressed. In overcoming depression I've found a book written by David Fox, M.D. called Comfort Healing and Joy: Secrets to living a magnificent life, to be of great help. It showed me how to search for that "bliss" in life and taught me techniques which can be applied to improving your daily life. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”