Friday, June 23, 2017

Constantly Connected To The Job

I did this one for a long time and it almost cost me my life and the world that I knew.  I didn't realize how having to be constantly connected to the job was killing me.  It was keeping me asleep.

The example of Frank from the blog post Are You Asleep could have been me in many ways.  Read an excerpt here from that blog post:

Yes, his employer forces him to take at least one week a year away from the office, but he's constantly checking email and working on projects.  He doesn't realize he is asleep.  (read the full example)

In my job I worked from home, but the employers and people above me did not care if I had time to myself.  They would claim up and down, all day long, that I should only work 40 hours a week.  They had to say that because otherwise they were breaking the law in how they had us report time.

Of course, in the next breath you would get chastised if you could not keep up with 150 to 200 calls a day among 400-600 emails and conference calls, traveling, and training techs.  These were just some of the pieces of the job.  They balked at giving you help, but thought that you could accomplish everything in 40 hours.  The support calls came all hours of the day and night because they didn't know how to schedule any of the project, and they didn't know how to hire the right people to do the job.

I got to a point where I could not function and life was nothing but an annoyance.  There was no time off.  The project had to continue, unorganized as it was, while the main company made millions.  They sacrificed my life for millions of dollars.

Yet I was so busy at the time that I didn't even realize what was being done to me.   I got to the point, medically, where I had to take time off -- and they still called me.  There was no escaping it.  A few months later, I said enough was enough.

The funny part is, there was much of the job that I loved, but they had worked me to death. I say shame on employers that do this to people.  If you can't respect your workers and their lives, you don't deserve to be in business.

This is so commonplace, but it is a practice of being asleep and unconscious and numb.  Sure, it is your job and livelihood, but it comes with serious costs.  There is nothing that is worth giving up your life - no amount of money or time.

http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/2017/06/asleep-to-what-we-put-in-our-body.html

NO, it isn't easy trying to get out of this or even realizing you have options.  We get sucked into it because we think if we work hard, we'll get ahead.  Yet, the end point of the working hard to get ahead game never ends.  It just requires more and more out of us.

At some point, you have to wake up or hope you do before it is too late.  Working in this way and constantly being connected to your job is not living.  It is not human.  It is being controlled and manipulated by those whose only existence is for the power of greed.



Make sure you check out the next part in this 11 part series

 Part 9 is "Asleep By SmartPhones"

http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/2017/06/constantly-connected-to-job.html

 






Blog Post And Images (c) 2017 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”