Friday, January 7, 2011

Lunar Eclipse on Winter Solstice

Some times I sit here gazing up at the stars,the sky, the moon and wondering what is it like to be in outer space. I wonder what the world truly looks like from so many miles above. I wonder what it feels like to be way out in space where you are so high above all the worries, concerns, cares and noises of our every day existence. What is it like to go into places where few (if any) have ever traveled?

Yes, I know that books and movies and the Nasa TV channel are available which gives me a view of what it is like in outer space. There are many pictures that show what earth looks like as well as other planets. The only thing is, seeing these things are not the same as observing them. I still remember my first trip to Kennedy Space Center when I was around 8 years old and the fascination it held for me then. In fact, today Kennedy Space Center still holds tremendous fascination for me.

At times, I get discouraged in life because I wonder if there is more out there for me and how I will get to the discovery of it. Sometimes the process gets difficult and I wonder if I can journey that far out. In those times, I gaze at the sky and see that there is really no end to all that there is in the universe. I see that the potential for life exists far beyond that which my eyes can see and my mind can understand. It is through gazing into the heavens that I find solace and grounding here on earth.

We just experienced a lunar eclipse that took place on the winter solstice (December 21, 2010). The previous lunar eclipse took place on December 21, 1638. The next lunar eclipse that takes place on the winter solstice will happen on December 21 2094, almost 84 years from now. When I stop to think of it, this was a once in a life time event. I was fortunate to be living to see this and will most likely not be around in 84 years to see the next one. My mind struggles to fully understand the rarity of the event.

Of course it once again proves to my skeptical mind that we sometimes stand here on earth with so much hope, possibility and opportunity before us. We may never truly understand all that we have been through and in this moment, we may not be able to see how our life will unfold. Yet, as we gaze into the astrological wonders of our universe, we can surely agree that the opportunities are infinite.

If you would like to see some of the pictures I took of the lunar eclipse, you can check out my page on CNN/Ireport.com where I uploaded some of them.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-531339

May we all gaze up into the heavens and realize what place we hold on this earth. From the power and hope we understand, may it propel us forward into a greater awareness in the days to come.


Blog Post & Images (c) 1/4/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTICE:

LINKS IN COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

SEE COMMENT POLICY

Copyright




Blog Post And Images (c) 1/01/07 by Don Shetterly
  • Permission required in writing before any part of this blog is reprinted, reworded, transmitted or used in any format.
  • Feel free to share the blog post LINK and a brief summary.
  • https://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com

  • “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”