I know Valentine's Day is coming up and I just found some cool facts and trivia that you may or may not know. If there are any guys out there that are reading this, just know that on Monday, February 14, 2011, the day is here! So don't say you haven't heard about this. :)
I'm not saying you have to spend a lot of money but see if you can't find something special to do for the one or ones you love. Showing love to anyone does not have to be about spending money! It is the thought that counts and there are a million and one ways to show how much you love or care for someone.
Americans celebrate Valentine's Day by doing the following.
- 65% give greeting cards
- 44% have a date night
- 38% give candy
- 32% give flowers
- 29% give Gift Cards
- 17% give various miscellaneous gifts
- 12% give Perfume or Cologne
- 11% give jewelry
Valentines Day Facts and Trivia:
1) One billion cards are sent on Valentine's Day - Second only to Christmas.
2) Of people buying flowers, approximately 70% are men and 30% are women.
3) 15% of women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day.
4) 189 million stems of roses are sold on this day in the US.
5) California produces 60% of the US roses but most are imported for this Day.
6) In 1868, Richard Cadbury sold the first Valentine's Day box of chocolates.
7) 64% of US men do not make advance romantic plans for Valentine's Day.
8) More than $1 Billion worth of chocolate is purchased on this day in the US.
9) More than 35 million heart shaped boxes are sold on Valentine's Day.
10) About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's gifts to their pets.
11) In 2010, consumers spent approximately $103 on Valentine's Day.
12) Men spend almost twice as much on Valentine's Day as women do.
13) More than one-third of men would prefer not receiving a gift.
14) Children between 6 to 10 years old give more than 650 million cards.
15) Over 50% of cards are purchased in the six days prior to Valentine's Day.
16) Teachers receive the most Valentine's Day cards.
17) To be awoken by a kiss on Valentine's Day is considered lucky.
18) The heart is the most common symbol of romantic love.
19) Ancient cultures believed the human soul lived in the heart.
20) The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
21) Valentine's Day is the most popular day for marriage proposals.
22) In Victorian times, it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine's Card.
23) Valentine's Day is believed to have begun in France and England.
24) Alexander Bell applied for his telephone patent on Valentine's Day 1876.
25) Hallmark produced its first Valentine Day Card in 1913.
Most of all, I hope that whatever you decide to do on Valentine's Day with whoever means so much to you, that it will come from the deepest place in your heart. Remember, love is not about spending money and buying gifts. Those things can be a reflection of love but keep it in perspective. It is those surprise gifts that are created out of thought, energy and love that mean so much to those around us.
Happy Valentine's Day..
Enjoy, love and live!
Sources of Information:
1) Fun Facts About Valentine's Day
2) Valentine Day Fact
3) Valentine's Day Trivia
4) Weird Things You Didn't Know About Valentine's Day
5) Valentine's Day Fun Fact
6) Valentines Day Facts
7) Valentine's Day Facts And Trivia
8) 10 Fun Valentine's Day Facts
If you're looking for music to spend that romantic day with the person you love or just relax and chill, check out my relaxing piano music that comes directly from the heart. Available on most major retailers to purchase CD's or download mp3's. iTunes, Amazon, Napster, Rhapsody, Cdbaby.com
Blog Post & Images (c) 2/5/11 Don Shetterly - use by permission only