If I hold it in my hand, I can literally feel the energy coming off of it. Whatever is happening, it is very powerful to me. It is an immediate feeling and connection. From the moment I see it, I'm already into emotional overload. If it is a lamp made of Onyx and illuminated, the effects increase exponentially.
Here are some facts that I found about Onyx by just searching and reading various websites out on the internet.
- The majority of Onyx is said to be found in Brazil, but also other places such as Italy, the US and California, India, Brazil, Uruguay, and Mexico, California. It is noted that in Mexico, the onyx isn't really onyx but generally calcite or agate. It is usually brown, white, grey, or black and I believe it is also green. The reddish brown and white version of onyx is Sardonex Onyx.
- Beliefs from the past say Sardonex Onyx was used in protection against sorcery and incantations. It was used in Roman times to make vases and cups.
- Onyx is a type of oxide mineral with a large ingredient being sand.
- It is considered a stone with a heavy earth element which helps in grounding, balance, strong attitude, reasoning and self-discipline. It is also important in willpower.
- It is an ancient gemstone that was well loved and admired and desired.
- Onyx is said to be an excellent stone for releasing negative emotions and as a result brings good fortune and helps one to recognize their personal strength.
- Onyx helps in healing wounds and strengthens the structural systems of bones, teeth, hair, skin, and nails. It is very grounding.
- It is the mystical birthstone for the month of December and the sign of Leo. Onyx is given on the 7th and 10th anniversary.
- Sardonyx is a type of onyx that has white bands or ribbons against a black or brown background.
- The name comes from the Greek word onxy which means nail of a finger or claw.
- It is a 6.5 on the Mohs scale of hardness. Onyx is a very good stone for use in carving.
- Element is earth
- Chakras associated with Onyx: Root, Solar plexus, Third Eye
- Soothes nervousness, quells stress and panic, soothes hot moods, brings reason to love
- Onyx is formed in the vesicles of lava
If I look at the descriptions, I can see more why I am drawn to it, but it feels like there is more to it then just simple statements of fact that I can't prove are true or not. All I know is that when I see it, it immediately grabs my attention in a very powerful and emotional way. I haven't managed to get the money together to buy a beautiful onyx lamp, but one day I hope I will. For now, the bowl you see in the picture is what I own and I still feel this every time I walk close to it.
Blog Post And Images (c) 5/1/15 by Don Shetterly
- Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form.
- You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.