It is a relatively simple dish to make. Most of the recipes out there that I saw used some type of cream soup. However, in my version, I use gravy that I make and I think it tasted very good this way. So here's the recipe for Vegetarian Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole made Don's way!
Ingredients:1 bag of MorningStar Burger Crumbles
About 1 pound or so of green beans
About 8 ounces of cheddar cheese
1 - 32 ounce bag of tater tots.
2 to 3 cups of gravy
- Wash and snap green beans, then steam. In my steamer it took about an hour to steam them to the desired tenderness. It may vary with your steamer. I prefer to steam them because I think they taste better and retain the nutritional value more.
- Take the tater tots out of the freezer and let them thaw while you are preparing everything else.
- Prepare Gravy. Below is how I make my gravy because I try not to use anything with onions and garlic. Feel free to substitute your version here if it works for you.
- I boil 3 cups of water in my tea kettle and then pour it into a metal bowl with 4 large vegetable bouillon cubes. Make sure they dissolve. Set this aside close to your stove because it becomes your broth for the gravy.
- Add about 4 to 5 tablespoons of virgin olive oil into a sauce pan and heat up until the oil starts to boil.
- Add about 4 to 5 tablespoons of flour into the mixture and form a paste, stirring it with a whisk to remove any lumps.
- Now is the time to adjust your mixture if you need more oil or flour. I have no idea how to tell you what is the right way, but I just learned this trial and error.
- Before the flour/oil mixture dries out, begin adding your broth mixture, stirring with a whisky constantly. Keep combining it under you have the desired texture and thickness of the gravy you want. As it cooks, it will dry out and thicken more.
- Add spices such as salt, black pepper and celery salt if you so desire.
- Set the gravy aside to be used in a few moments.
- Prepare burger crumbles according to directions on package.
- Combine burger crumbles, gravy and green beans in a big mixing bowl until everything is mixed completely.
- Take a 9x13 baking dish (I prefer glass baking dishes) and lightly spray the dish with cooking spray or whatever you use.
- Spread the mixture from step 4 into the baking dish.
- Now line the top with the tater tots
- Add the cheddar cheese to the top
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until everything is warm and the cheese is melted.
I doubled all the ingredients and it made a large quantity. It tasted so good though and it was like having a 3 course meal all in one dish. If you try this and have questions or if I didn't explain something good, please feel free to comment with a question and ask me to explain. I hope you enjoy this Vegetarian Green Bean and Tater Tot Casserole recipe - made Don's Way!
For another recipe, check out Don's Vegetarian Mexican Pasta .
Blog Post And Images (c) 7/29/12 by Don Shetterly
- Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form.
- You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.